Hi, friends. Today marks the 50th year anniversary of a legendary film’s premiere in Washington, D.C.
Facts About 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Sci-fi film from 1968 (one year before US moon landing) involving outer space, extraterrestrial life, and artificial intelligence
- Produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick (also directed Full Metal Jacket)
- Based on a short story by Arthur Clarke, who helped Kubrick write the screenplay
- Novel and film versions were developed together
- Depicts spaceflight accurately–the film is considered “hard science fiction”
- Contains minimal dialogue–none at all for the first and last twenty minutes
- Soundtrack uses several pieces of classical music
- Replicas of the spacecrafts were built in various sizes
- Filmed almost entirely indoors in England
- Considered one of the best, most influential films ever made
Thanks for reading! Have you seen this one?
Leave a Reply